Vamos de tapas con la escuela

It’s a sort of tradition that we go out after my Spanish lesson and go for tapas in the centre. I’ll try to speak in Spanish and normally Monica has had enough after about 10 minutes and its back to English. However, tonight might be different. We are going on the tapas trail with the school.

We met outside the school and headed for the first bar. I was hoping to go to a new place. A traditional, serviettes on the floor, local bar. Alas, we headed for the most famous tourist tapas place in Nerja, Bar Redondo, or to us Guiris the round bar.

The Spanish conversation was at a basic level. Being the “resident” student I was under pressure to speak Spanish. The other students were on residential courses and had only had a few hours lessons. One of these was Philipe from Switzerland. He already spoke French and English, probably German too. He was on a 14-week course with 2-hour lessons a day. This was his second week. His previous knowledge of Spanish was “Hola” and “Una cerveza”. However, even after such a short time he seemed to understand most of the conversation taking place. Puts my efforts to shame.


The Tapas Group hit the town.

I soon drifted away from the teachers and ended up in the “naughty corner” with Philipe. He switched the conversation to hushed English which suited me fine. I was living up to my role as the worst Quorom student ever. The school try to hide me away, as I’m hardly a good advert for them.

After a few beers at Bar Redondo and a few more at the Posada Iberica the group were in party mood. A cold February evening with hardly a soul out on the streets, not even midnight and we headed for Tutti Frutti. I tried to explain to Philipe that this was the party zone of Nerja. The locals party hard until sunrise here. As we reached the empty plaza Philip didn’t seem too impressed. Early days yet!


Another good Spanish Lesson in the pub.

We went to the only bar that seemed to have any life, “Thebas”. Apparently it’s pronounced in one word not “The Bahs” as I thought. I was expecting some traditional Yorkshire pub with pictures of sheep and wellies hanging from the walls. Well it didn’t have a Spanish feel to it although the crowd were mainly locals. The DJ was playing all 80’s music. Time for a few beers and a bit of a dance before heading home.


No comments: