Day 2 – Doha International Airport.

This was the bit of the trip I was dreading . An 8-hour wait at Doha International Airport. Qatar Airlines knew it. They called me a few days before the trip to point out the horror of the ordeal awaiting me, especially during the witching hours. Why not splash out an extra £23 to gain entrance to the “Oryx” executive lounge? Yes please! I’ll have some of that.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. I was hoping for comfy chairs and sofas so we could crash for the night. Free beer goes without saying. Maybe a couple of sandwiches. Throw in peace and quiet, ambient lighting and it will be £23 well spent. The reality of the Oryx lounge was completely different.

No comfy sofas to sleep on. In fact I’m convinced that the chairs were ergonomically designed to ensure sleep was impossible. Trying to put two chairs together to make a bed would be OK if you happened to be four foot two. Free beer didn’t look promising either. The fridges were crammed with soft drinks and water. Not a sign of beer, wine or spirits. They kept all that under lock and key. You had to beg the staff for beer, who made it clear that it was a major inconvenience for them to walk all of twenty meters to their inner sanctum to get it.


Monica less than impressed with the lounge.

Sandwiches were available. Help yourself, fill your plate or should I say saucer. Peace and quiet would prove to be elusive too. England had just finished their friendly in Doha with Brazil. Half of the people in the lounge were sporting England shirts. They didn’t seem to have the same problems obtaining beer than me. However the major source of noise disturbance came from a more sinister group. Plane Spotters! They were enthusiastically discussing plane specs, tail wings and registration numbers. I think they were on a mission to convert us all. There were no corners in the lounge that were out of range of the riveting discussion of the latest Boeing jet plane. All night long.

After 6 long hours I had managed to doze off for a maximum of 20 minutes. It was time to ditch the lounge and go to the gate. We must have been first in the queue. A brief walk around the terminal and we found a “Quiet lounge”. Comfy looking chairs in a darkened room. Save yourself £23 and head for there if you are unlucky enough to find yourself stuck in Doha Airport overnight.


No comments: