Working outside the Church.
As far as I knew, “Polvo” means “Dust”. Nothing more nothing less. So when the young girl draped her arms around me and said “¿Quieres echar un polvo?, whilst tickling my face with a feather duster, I thought she wanted to dust me. Being quite flustered at the time, I managed to stammer my reply of “No Gracias. Soy limpio!”.
Oh how the others laughed. I spotted the “Quorum” lot from school and thought I´d better ask Mari-Carmen and Nathalie. It turns out “polvo” has quite a few meanings.
Apparently, it is quite a common thing for a professional lady to enquire if the gentleman would like to “echar un polvo”, meaning “have a shag”. So I suppose the reply of “Soy limpio” was apt, meaning “I’m clean” or “I’m innocent”. Not the use of Ser as opposed to estar!
Another Spanish Lesson from "las chicas"
In common with English, the phrase “estoy hecho polvo” can be used when you are really tired, to mean “I’m shagged”. Other uses of “Polvo” other than to refer to dusting are “depressed”, “to be ruined” and you can also “bite the dust” with “morder el polvo”. A new favourite of mine will be the expression “limpio de polvo y paja”. “he ganado diez millones de Euros limpios de polvo y paja” meaning “I´ve won a clear 10 million euros”. I wish!
No comments:
Post a Comment