We braved the rain soaked streets and arrived at the Piazza di Santa Croce. At one end the impressive exterior of the church of the same name. A few things would become apparent during our stay in Florence. All the buildings are a delight to see. All the attractions would be expensive to visit. 6 Euros to enter a church? No thanks!
Santa Croce Church.
Piazza di Santa Croce.
We crossed the uneven Piazza cursing as the odd misplaced foot went into a puddle. It isn’t possible to watch where you put your feet in Florence. There is too much to see! All thoughts of the rain, cold and wet feet soon vanished as we arrived at the Piazza della Signoria. The most beautiful square I have ever seen in my life!
My first view of the Piazza della Signoria.
The square is dominated by the Palazzo Vecchio, which doubles as a Museum and the Town Hall. In front of the palace is the Neptune Fountain. An amazing work of art. Sculptures stand in a line outside the palace. Under the cover of the Loggia are dozens more. It is an incredible sight. I always thought that Florence would be the highlight of our trip. The city I wanted to see most. I wasn’t disappointed.
Palazzo Vecchio.
Ponte Vecchio.
No comments:
Post a Comment