Liverpool – City of Culture 2008

A day trip to Liverpool to pick up my new passport. With all morning to kill, what does the future city of culture offer? I had a walk around to find out.

The first thing to strike me whilst walking around is all the building work. Do they know its only a few weeks off 2008? It looks like Liverpool city centre will be a building site well into 2008. The number of workers in their bright yellow florescent tops easily out numbered the shoppers, office workers and tourists walking around. They were in cafés, standing around in the street smoking. Even a few in the local bookies but none to be seen actually doing any work. All this at 10:00am. Maybe it’s their breakfast break.


The Liver Building.

Navigating around Liverpool is easy enough. There are plenty of sign posts that point the way to the city’s attractions such as the "Cavern Quarter", the "Culture Quarter" and the "Albert Dock". They even point the way to the passport office. My first point of call would be the Cavern Quarter.

Ask anyone what Liverpool is famous for and a part from the few lads who will say "football", the majority will say "the Beatles". The cavern quarter I would expect to be a thriving tourist destination for Liverpool. Heading towards the area I thought I had got it wrong. It seems that the "Cavern Walks" is a shopping centre. Quickly walking past this I ended up on Matthew Street, the birthplace of the Beatles. Here, there are a number of tributes and sights marking the famous four. There is a "Lennon’s" café bar. A Beatles memorabilia shop. And of course "The Cavern". A large billboard marks the original entrance to the Cavern. Building work years ago meant that the original cavern was demolished. The replica site is a few hundred yards away. Opposite the original entrance is a tribute to the pop stars of Liverpool. Tributes not only to the Beatles but a whole host of former Liverpool greats, and Sonia. A great idea but it looks tired and tatty. I’m amazed they have not maintained the place a little more as its an obvious tourist destination.


Original entrance to the Cavern.

From the Cavern quarter I headed for the Culture quarter. This appears to be the place where the main theatres, art galleries and museums are housed. The grand buildings complete with statues of famous national and local heroes are well worth a look around. The impressive St George’s building is the focal point with statues at the front of Price Albert and Queen Victoria. There is a column that commemorates Wellington and a large garden area at the rear. The area is also the location of the Walker art gallery. Being a bit chilly a popped in to have a look.


Outside the St George's building.

The gallery was advertising a special exhibition "Joseph Wright of Derby". However, when I got inside it was closed. So I had a wander around the other paintings. One room of note was the 20th century and contemporary art collection. It includes "Peter getting out of Nick’s pool" by David Hockney and a musical toilet sculpture. An impressive painting of Samson is also on view.


Contemporary art on display at the Walker Art Gallery.

Time was getting on so I only had time for a brisk walk around Albert dock before heading back to the passport office. Seems to be more wine bars around the place than last time and somebody has nicked Fred’s weather map.

Time to reflect on the passport renewal. £114 for the special 4-hour turnaround appointment. £8 on photographs (don’t use the photo machine in Asda as it chops your head off and you can’t adjust the seat). A total of £8.30 on parking fees. At least the appointment system works. I spent a total of 5 minutes in the office collecting my passport.


View from the Albert Dock.

On my journey home I listened to a local radio station. There were discussing the planning failure of the annual Matthew Street festival. It was blamed on building work at the Pierhead, the site of the festival. A cock-up by the Liverpool council. They fear a similar cock-up is likely to be made of the year of culture. It’s a shame as Liverpool city centre has lots to offer. Shame it’s not ready.

No comments: