Man Utd v AS Roma

A trip to Old Trafford with Vitafoam to see the second leg of the Quarter final tie against Roma. I was hoping for a shock upset but a don't think our hosts would have been too pleased. Out of the four of us, only Graham was a united fan. He was out numbered by Latics! Only there for the food, the beer and the outside chance of an upset.


Roma fans top right were hoping for a miracle.

The Roma fans tried to make an atmosphere but it seemed that everyone knew it would be a formality for United. No Totti on the team sheet. Spalletti not risking him, preferring to rest him for the league. No Ronaldo or Rooney for United. Fergie thinks the game is won and has is eye on the visit of Arsenal.


Champions League banners before kick-off.

As the first game, Roma looked technically superior but had no cutting edge. United always looked the more likely side to score. Then a controversial penalty was awarded to Roma. Mancini saw the challenge coming and dramatically threw himself to the floor. I couldn't believe it when the penalty was given! But it was a false dawn as De Rossi skyed the kick over the bar. It would have made for a more interesting game if that went in.


Teams ready for the off.


Forza Roma!

0-0 at half time and I reminded my host of my record at Old Trafford. 2 and a half games in and I had never seen united score. He assured me that if the unthinkable happened I would be walking home. No worries as United scored and the game was up. Still, Barca would prove to be tougher. Wouldn't they?


No comments: