The usually calm Med.
To date I have had 3 outings, and so far I have a 100% record for falling in. The first trip was the short journey to the caves. Everyone waited in line near the entrance. When it was our turn, Monica exited without incident. I took a little longer, a split second later and a wave broke on the rocks sending my flying int the sea. I was the only one to get a dunking.
The caves were fantastic. We all had our head lamps and squeezed through the narrow entrance. Once in, the caves opened up a little so it wasn't too claustrophobic. Inside, there were plunge pools where the outside light made for a beautiful electric blue colour.
Deeper in the caves and we reached the largest cavern complete with plunge pool. Manolo took a group photo with his snazzy Olympus waterproof camera. Must get one of those! We had been in the caves some 30 minutes at this point. My headlamp was looking a bit dodgy after my dunking. We all switched off the lamps for the photo. That's when I started panicking about being stuck in the caves with no light! We would never get out, it was pitch black. So it was a relief when we headed back, Monica reassuring me that the batteries of everyones torches wouldn't go flat at the same time....
Monica lands safely.
The second trip and the calm Med had become a bit more volatile. This time I was in my own canoe. The entrance is a bit tight, and getting in is a bit of a problem. I managed the first part without incident. Then it I was trying to get my feet into the correct position when a wave broke and capsized the canoe. Needless to say that I was the only one to get a dunking again....
Another lesson finished.
The third trip and the furthest to date. A trip past the Maro beaches and to a secluded bay. This time, Monica helped to keep the boat steady whilst I entered. The sea was rough again but this time I didn't fall in. That would wait until we set off form the secluded bay on our return. One day I will come back without incident.
3 comments:
Wow that sounds pretty cool. How much are the lessons, it looks like a lot of fun.
Where about are the caves? I really enjoy my snorkeling and have one of those snazzy Olympus cameras to photo fish. It sounds like there might be some good fish hanging outside those caves.
Also you should check out some of my underwater photos for ideas about how good the camera is. I love it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbiesherman/sets/72157606219925669/
Its really cheap if you go to the Ayuntamiento. There is a 20 Euro registration fee for the federation, and then its 20 euro a month. They go out on Mondays, Wednesday's and Fridays.
I think you pay up to 20 euro for one trip if you don't go through the Ayuntamiento. You will need proof of being a resident to join up.
Funnily enough, I have just ordered an Olympus camera!
That sounds ok. Although I don't think I could commit to a course, the odd one or two would make me happy.
Would having a NIE be enough?
You wont be disappointed with the camera. It is alot of fun. And the "underwater shooting mode" works really well, as you may of seen if you checked out my photos.
Also the camera has a really good panorama setting and free software that lets you join up the photos. Have a look at my panorama ones of Nerja/Frigliana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbiesherman/sets/72157606379921075/
The one from Burriana beach is my favourite.
Post a Comment