Away day at Anoreta

An away day with TOGS. Today's 4-ball betterball competition was held at Anoreta, near Rincon de Victoria. This was the first time I had visited the course. How would I play?


From the Back Tees

The day was sponsored by Axarquia Golf, based on the N340 near Caleta. The pro, Chris Gask, had kindly donated the prizes. How did TOGS thank him? They made him play from the White Tees!


The final four ball on the tee.

I was partnered with Max who plays off 18. The Captian told me that he was a steady player and that we would do well. He had such faith in us that he picked us to finish second in the Tote. His first pick was the dream team of John Kilroy and Andrew Brooks. No complaints there then as I had them down as the winners too!


Interested Spectator.

The course was interestingly laid out. The walk from the first green to the second is a challenge. It must be well over 500 metres away via a foot bridge over the motorway. Luckily we had buggies. The course was a plesant surprise as a lot of people had complained about it before. The one complaint I had were the greens. Probably the worst I had played on in Spain.


View of the 17th Green.

We played reasonably well. Any hole where we dropped a point or two, we seemed to make up with a 3 pointer. The highlight of the day for me was my Tiger birdie on the 7th. A monstor drive was complemented with a great approach to within 6 feet of the pin. My putt went agonisingly close, the break seeming to take it past on the left, the ball teetering on the edge. The groans soon turned to cheers as gravity went to work and the ball dropped!


The Dreamteam John Kilroy and Andrew Brooks receive the first prize.

We ended the day on 37 points. Conditions were tough but I still thought 40+ points were needed to end up in the prizes. John's team did win with 41 points. We were good enough for second prize! The captain was well chuffed. He made off with at least 50 euros by winning the tote forecast.

No comments: