TOGS: Stableford Sunday 17th August

Stableford action at Baviera this week with a shortened field probably due to the intense heat of August. I wasn’t in too much of a confident mood. The last practice session ended up with balls flying left as well as the usual slice right.

Today’s playing partners were Bob Willett, Avis Clay and Lynne Spiller. I arrived slightly late and received a ticking off from Bob. Obviously he is not used to the Spanish way of life yet. The first tee wobbles struck again. This time I sliced my drive into a tree on the right. There was no recovery.


The 7th Green featuring the lady in the "inappropriate attire"

A slight upturn on the second for a par was soon dashed by the hated par-5 3rd. Another blob recorded. Things started to improve from there on but not spectacularly. Things started to hot up on the 8th tee for all the wrong reasons. "Do you think they are still in range?" I asked Bob as the forward group were taking there time. "No idea I’m not watching you" was the reply. Seems he was more interested in the girl teeing off on the 7th. She had a fantastic "wiggle" and was wearing what Avis described as "Inappropriate attire". Seemed to do the trick for Bob who promptly recorded a birdie on the hole.


View down the 11th fairway

An average 15 points on the turn and history shows that the back 9 usually scores less. A distressed chameleon was found lying by the 11th tee, slowly cooking alive in the midday sun. It was probably too late for it but I placed it in the shade. My good deed seemed to go rewarded as my drive didn’t do the usual trick of rolling into the barranco. It managed to stop just in time. The second shot was OK leaving around 230 yards to the green. Thinking safety first I laid up, leaving a nice 80 yard pitch to the green. Hopes of scoring were soon dashed with a shanked pitch shot into the barranco. The day never got any better from there on.


In the Barranco on the 11th

A final score of 25 points. I narrowly managed to post double figures on the back 9 thanks to a decent par on the last hole. More practice required and definitely more lessons.


The 18th Green


No comments: