Finally, the rains have gone. A return to blue skies just in time for my latest outing on the golf course. Today's competition was a better-ball stableford. Good, I could do with some help on the course.
I was partnered with John Kilroy and we took on the Captain and Bob Willett. It seemed that the latest change in the weather had gone to the captains head. He turned up in shorts. The rains may have gone but it was still a chilly day. There was still snow on the mountains and the wind was strong. Strong enough to force the captain to don a pair of trousers on the third hole.
The golfing day went really well. I hit some great shots and more importantly, John hit more. Whenever I had a bad hole John was on hand to rescue the hole, and vice versa. We ended up cleaning up on the competition. We beat the captain's team by one point. There would have been a riot if they had beaten us, especially after the "rub of the green" incident.
The captain's drive on the 16th was sliced right, over the creek and ended up near the 12th green. A very helpful lady (at least to the captain) came to save the day. Before the Captain could ask if it was his ball, she had picked it up a thrown it back to him. The ball landing rather neatly on the 16th fairway. John was not happy and had a word with the lady. "Learn the bloody rules of golf!". The poor lady retreated rapidly from the scene.
Still, we had another points to take first prize, and 3 euros from the captain. John was happy enough with that result. Maybe it's just as well that I didn't remind him that the captain's good fortune helped them square the back nine saving them an extra euro.
2 comments:
Yeah I've spotted a few people walking around in shorts.
Although it has been nice to be able to sit out side in the sun the last day or two where it's warmer then indoors.
Fantastic story about the lady on the golf course. Did he take his shot from the fairway without penalty?
I think in that situation, just for a really poor hit ball, I'd forced him to shoot from the 12th :D ha
The rules of golf state that he should have gone back to the original point and play from there.
We were all to busy laughing to worry about little things such as rules. So the Captain played it from where it was thrown. The shame of it. He has been warned about his future conduct!
Post a Comment