Saturday and back at Baviera with Nas to take on Jose and Miguel. We had high expectations going into the encounter. “Mejor” y “Peor”. The pair’s best score against the other pairs best score for a point. The same with the worst score. No hiding place in this contest then. Jose played off scratch, I was given 10 shots, Nas and Miguel had 14 shots.
The contest was over before we reached the 14th. By that time Jose had amassed 4 birdies. Miguel was having a blinder. He just chipped out from the bunker and holed it for his birdie to win the match. “Toma!”. All Baviera knew that he had just made birdie. At the end of the round the inquest started. We had been hammered by 14 points. We looked at our stableford scores. I had 34 points, Nas with 32 points. The Spanish handicap system needs a re-think, especially Miguels!
Sunday and I was playing a stableford competition with TOGS. I was feeling confident going into the round. The confidence was not misplaced. I started hotter than the weather. The captain was feeling the heat, getting especially hot under the collar on his putting. A very makeable birdie on the 6th missed, as was the par putt. The story of his day. On the other hand I couldn’t miss. I wasn’t striking the ball well enough to get birdie chances, but I was leaving myself under 10 footers for par and nailing them. After 10 holes my gross score was one over.
23 Points on the turn and the competition was mine to lose. A slight stutter at the 11th, dreaded 12th and 13th netted just a point. The little blip behind me, I went on to score 15 more points finishing with 39 points. The captain was my closest challenger, back on 33 points. It might have been a lot closer if he made his putts. My first win in a while. My prize, a Hibiscus plant. I wonder how long that will last?
Campeon!
No comments:
Post a Comment