Arrival in Venice

Our trip to Venice started with an early 7am flight from Malaga. Then thanks to the bizarre ticketing system of Iberia, we would head off in different directions. Monica was flying to Madrid and then on to Venice with Iberia. Cost of this return trip a little over 300 Euros. As I was not returning directly to Malaga I only wanted a single ticket. Cost with Iberia for the same outbound flight? A mega 410 Euros! So I was booked on the Vueling flight to Barcelona and then on to Venice.

This was my first time with Vueling and I was quite surprised. My initial worry was over the connection in Barcelona. If you miss it then tough luck. Vueling is a “point to point” airline. Still, I had just over a 4-hour connection time and I had checked in online so I could cope with a few hours delay. However there was nothing to worry about. The flight took off around 10 minutes later than scheduled but arrived in Barcelona on schedule. The staff were extremely friendly and I was even invited to take an extra legroom seat at no extra cost, as the flight was not busy.

The second leg of the journey was equally as good and I arrived in Venice on schedule but three hours later than Monica. My waiting time was spent in Barcelona whilst Monica hung around Venice airport. I was warmly greeted on arrival by Monica, Roberto and Andrea, and also the stifling heat of Venice. “Today is first day of heat wave” Roberto informed me. It’s either freezing cold or boiling hot when I go to Venice!

On the Number 2 Vaporetto to Giudecca.

To get to Monica’s home of Giudecca you have no choice other than to go by boat. Therefore an “IMOB”, a travelcard for the Vaporetto boat service is essential. At 50 Euro for a 7-day pass it’s not cheap either. That’s probably why most Venetians that don’t live on Giudecca regard the Vaporetto as only for tourists.


No comments: