¿Hablas Espanol? "Pary", "porear" y otros pochismos

This BBC Mundo "¿Hablas Espanol?" special blog deals with "Pochos". A "Pocho" being a slang term used to describe someone of Mexican descent that was born in America. "Pochos" normally speak little or no Spanish. A large group of people who fit the "pocho" tag can be found in San Antonio.

As far as the translating the article, 15 "red" words out of an article of 663 words. The common theme appears to be that I am trying to translate "word for word" again.

"Tal Vez", literally translated as "Such Time", meaning the more familiar "Perhaps".
"Hace poco", literally "It makes little", meaning "Recently".
"A lo mejor", "To it better", meaning "Perhaps".

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps! Seems that there are a few ways to express this simple word. "Quizás" also means "Perhaps". So at least three ways to express "perhaps"! This is where I would normally revert back to type and mutter something like "no wonder I can't learn Spanish!" or "It's too complicated". Take a deep breath and think about it. How else can you express "perhaps" in English? Maybe there is another word. Bingo! Maybe. Possibly. Probably. I suppose so.

Perhaps in time I will also stop making stupid mistakes like seeing various forms of the verb "cerrar" and thinking "Open" instead of "Closed". Maybe. Also, it would be nice to give a bit more thought over a strange word based on the context, rather than go straight to the dictionary. "palpitando", no idea what it means lets look it up. In context "El corazón palpitando". Come on Dino! The beating heart. Not rocket science is it.

No comments: