Cómpeta is some 10 kilometres away from Torrox pueblo but feels a whole lot further away. The mountain road you go on as so many twists and turns it takes ages to get there. Finally you arrive at a nice viewing point where it seems its customary for everyone to stop and take a look at the village.

Cómpeta.
We parked in a small square that appeared to be set-up for a fiesta. A number of tarpaulin sheets were tied above the streets to give a bit of shade to the square. However, not a soul was to be seen. We walked through the narrow streets to head for the town centre. The pavement looks to have been recently laid and blends in well with the houses. A charming, Spanish feel to the place. All the street names were in decorative ceramic signs that added to the charm.
The streets of Cómpeta.
We soon stumbled upon the main square where the church was. Signs of life at last. Many people were sat outside the few bars that occupy the square. A quick look at the statue in front of the church and we decided it was time to join them for tapas.
The church in the square.
Statues in front of the church.
A quick walk around town and then back to the car. It was too hot to explore any further. Which was lucky for me as the pain in my shoulder was getting worse despite having downed two bottles of San Miguel in an attempt to numb the pain.
Tapas in the Square.
Back at the house and I decided to have a lie down for a siesta. Big mistake! A few hours later and I couldn't move. I was in agony. Finally, Monica came up to see what had happened to me and found me face down on the bed. Any attempt at standing sent shocks of pain through my body. Eventually I was helped to my feet and it was off to the Urgencias.
The urgencias was quite busy but I was still seen to within 20 minutes of arrival. At Tameside it would have been nearer 2 hours, if I was lucky. Monica acted as interpreter and the doctor examined my shoulder. Apparently I needed to rest it for 3 days and no exercise for at least a week. She gave me a few pills to take at night to help me sleep and went out of the room. "What's happening" I asked Monica. Now the correct response would have been "She has gone to get you something for the pain". Instead, she said "She's going to get the needle to give you an injection for the pain". Needles? Injection? I should have gone in on my own!
After an age the nurse returned with the injection. Not in the shoulder where the pain was. It had to be in on the backside. The car ride here was bad enough having to bend my head to get in the car. Now I would have double the discomfort on the way home. I think Monica misunderstood me as she agreed that I was a pain in the ass.
No comments:
Post a Comment