Midnight Mass

One of the questions asked of me when in Venice was “How do you celebrate Christmas in England?”. In particular, what is the tradition on Christmas Eve and the seeing in of Christmas day? Well, for me back in England it was always an excuse to go and get drunk down Stalybridge (Ashton in the older days) and get ripped off in each pub as they usually charged you an entry fee for the privilege. Things here are quiet different. At midnight I found myself at church.

After an amazing dinner with at least 7 courses, we went to the church of San Gerado in Sacca Fisola for midnight mass. I’m not a religious person at all but enjoy seeing the inside of churches, especially in Venice, so this was a new one to add to the list. The décor inside was quite modern and I suspect that this is quiet a new church. The service was packed out and many late arrivals found the place standing room only.


San Gerado's.

Giustina’s husband Germano was a member of the church choir that sang a number of carols accompanied by the organ and an electric guitar. A number of members of the choir would then go to the pulpit at the front to address the congregation, including Germano. I have no idea what he said or for that matter what was said during the entire service. However I did feel a close sense of community, especially towards the end where everyone turns around to greet each other, friend or stranger. It was certainly experience quiet different and probably a lot more rewarding than a night out in Stalybridge.


No comments: