Gondola at last

I have lost count of the number of times I have asked Monica to take me on a Gondola ride. Every time she refuses. "Its a rip off for tourists". I suppose being seen on a gondola is the Venetian equivalent of being spotted on the Guriy train in Nerja.

So I was a little surprised when she promised to take me on a Gondola. Eager with anticipation we walked to the Gondola stop. "Not this one, I know a better one". Then I spy the "Traghetto" sign. What's one of them? I was getting a little suspicious.


Is "Traghetto" Italian for Gondola?

I knew it! It's a clapped out Gondola that gets you across the canal. Most people don't even sit down. No romatic cruise down the Grand Canal. No Gondolier serenading us as we float under the Rialto bridge. Anyway, I insisted we sat down for the photo.

All the hours of pleading with her to take me and it lasted a minute. A single crossing for 1 Euro. Not even that as she knew the Gondolier and we had a free ride. Maybe next time.


Our first Gondola trip.

No comments: